Monday, August 5, 2013

Why Owning a Dog Is Good For Your Health

by Koren Barwis, Nutritionist & Wellness Coach

My jeans were a tad looser this morning. At first, I had no idea why since I haven't been trying to lose weight or to eat less. But then, I remembered that one significant thing had changed in my home recently - we got a puppy. Meet Penny:



Since Penny joined our family, I’ve walked more, A LOT more. My adage is a tired puppy is a happy puppy, so I do my best to keep her adequately exercised and pooped, which also ups my own activity level.

Research has consistently shown that pet owners are healthier. There are several key areas where dog ownership improves human health:

Stress Reduction and Lower Blood Pressure
Just being around a dog has a calming affect. Studies have shown that dogs lower blood pressure and also that playing with a dog can elevate levels of serotonin and dopamine -- nerve transmitters known to increase pleasure and calm.

Increased Activity Levels 
Fido needs to be walked and dog owners oblige, making their activity level go up as well. Plus, people with pets are 55-75% more likely to get the recommended amounts of exercise.

May Decrease the Likelihood of Obesity in Children 
An Australian study found that kids with dogs were less likely to be obese.

Increased Social Interaction
Walking a dog increases interaction with other humans. I've talked to more neighbors over the past month as they gush over Penny. 

Decreased Allergies 
Kids growing up in a home with dogs and cats have a decreased risk of allergies and asthma.

Increased Joy
When people see Penny, they light up. No one can walk by her without smiling. Therapy dogs are routinely used to help those grieving, children with brain injuries, and the elderly to improve mood. Dogs just bring out the best in people.



My experience with Penny supports many of points above. And while my motivation for getting Penny was mostly for companionship, the health benefits (including the looser jeans) are a nice perk.

No comments:

Post a Comment