Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Six Tips for Staying Fit on Vacation

I love the beach, sun dresses, and salt water hair. I could sit for hours soaking up the warmth of the sun and watching the waves hit the shore. While I love vacation, I don’t particularly love feeling bloated and out of control when I get home. Sadly, I used to dread vacation, stressed and afraid of the onslaught of temptations and indulgences that I'd have to deal with. That was until I adopted a few easy habits that help me sit back and relax, while still keeping my overall health goals in mind:

  1. Plan Ahead -- One of my favorite quotes is “Failing to plan, is planning to fail” by Jillian Michaels. Yes, even on vacation, having a plan makes the difference between feeling great and feeling like you just went on a bender. I make sure wherever I'm going has a gym or workout facility (yes, the beach counts). I try to book hotels that are near jogging paths or walking routes. Also, I check online to see if there is a Whole Foods or other grocery store nearby where I can stock up on healthy snacks. 
  2. Pack Snacks -- When driving or flying for long periods (or really anytime I’m out of the house for more than an hour), I bring my own snacks. Then, I am not reliant on the airport snack shop or gas stations. If I’m driving, I’ll pack a big cooler with sparkling water, grapes, sandwiches (for the kids), carrots, hummus, and hard boiled eggs. If flying, trail mix, apples, and protein bars travel well. 
  3. Be Selective -- Just because you're on vacation doesn't mean you have to eat every junk food that comes your way. Choose to indulge in things that you truly missed or things you can only get on vacation...and then savor every delicious morsel. I only have pina coladas when I go to the beach every summer and boy do I treasure those pina coladas. But when I’m offered ice cream or donuts, foods I don't even like, I pass. 
  4. Limit Splurges -- Have ONE “big” meal per day (at most). If you know you’re going out to dinner, try to eat in or light for breakfast and lunch. Plus, try to have protein at breakfast. Eat something like eggs or Greek yogurt, instead of a high carb breakfast like pancakes, which will set you up for sugar cravings all day. 
  5.  Stay Active -- This usually isn’t a problem on vacation. While you might not get an "official" workout in, your activity levels are usually higher than when you sit at a desk all day. Still, try to work in some extra walks on the beach, swims in the pool, or tennis matches with the kids. Yes, mini golf counts as exercise! 
  6. Get Back & Get Right Back on Track -- Although it may feel like you’ve gained 20 pounds in one week, the likelihood is that it was only a few pounds and you're retaining a bunch of water from all the treats. Don't panic and try to avoid the scale those first few days. If you get back to clean eating and working out, you should stabilize in about a week to ten days. 
Ultimately, my best advice is to remember the big picture -- vacation is about a lot more than food: the smell of the ocean, jet skis, henna tattoos, putt putt tournaments, and connecting with loved ones. So relax, enjoy your indulgences, and we'll see you when you get back.

photo credit: "Beach" by Moyan Brenn

No comments:

Post a Comment